There are several dungeons in Baldur’s Gate 3. One you will need to visit during your game is the Gauntlet of Shar. There you need to complete a few tasks to obtain Umbral Gems, leading you deeper into its inner recesses. Our guide covers the puzzles in Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar, as well as the trials you will encounter.
How to Complete Gauntlet of Shar Puzzles in Baldur’s Gate 3
Before we delve deeper into Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar location, it’s worth mentioning that it’s related to the Shadowheart’s Daughter of Darkness quest, so you should definitely have it in your party. Also, one of the objectives is related to Astarion’s Pale Elf quest. Having it for the ride will be very useful, especially due to all the traps in the area.
Either way, you can find the Gauntlet of Shar in the underground section of Thorm’s Mausoleum. The crypt is located south of Last Light Inn. Just follow the road and cross the river to reach the town of Reithwin, then head north from there. Once you’ve marked a waypoint past the graveyard, you’ll encounter the devil Raphael, who has a proposition for Astarion. You must defeat one of his rivals who is hiding in the dungeon.
How to solve the mausoleum puzzle
The first Gauntlet of Shar puzzle in Baldur’s Gate 3 is actually in Thorm’s Mausoleum. If you read a book, it says to walk in the footsteps of General Thorm: “From splendour, to tragedy, to infamy.
When you reach the highest chamber, you will see a coffin and three murals. There are also several traps, so be sure to ungroup your party so Astarion can disarm them (assuming he has the highest sleight of hand skill). You must then interact with the murals in the following order:
- Splendor – The mural shows Moonrise Towers.
- Tragedy – This shows Thorm mourning over his dead daughter.
- Infamy – Thorm sits on a throne and stares at his audience with evil intent.
Solving the puzzle opens the door. This allows you to take the elevator to the Gauntlet of Shar proper.
How to solve the statue puzzle
In the initial chamber, you will notice a statue holding an orb. You will be knocked back if you try to approach it. Here’s what you need to do:
- Check the side pieces and pull the levers to lower all the lanterns.
- Beware of triggered traps, as these cause clouds of darkness to appear. Characters will take damage when in these clouds, as the rats, which they cannot target, will attack them.
- Once all the lanterns are down, interact with them to turn off the light.
When the room is completely dark, you will see a pattern on the floor. Use a single character to crouch and avoid light lines. This allows you to grab the Umbral Gem to unlock the door.
Balthazar and Battles
The next section of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar dungeon leads to a battle against several undead Justiciar. The ones you need to worry about are umbral quakes, which look like black holes. If not destroyed, they will spawn another undead soldier.
After clearing the enemies, you’ll notice another device and a platform, but there’s nothing you can do about it right now. Instead, head left to mark the waypoint. Further to the left is another fight against undead enemies. There are also a few other rooms here:
- The locked room to the north contains several treasure chests, one of which has a Infernal iron for Karlach.
- The room on the left is Balthazar’s lair. He wants your help, and he even gives you an item to summon a Flesh Golem.
- To the south, you’ll see a statue of Shar that your characters can pray to. There is a religion test you must pass, and it grants a necrotic damage resistance buff. Conversely, failure to control confers a penalty. We also advise against trying this with Shadowheart, as the action is said to cause her to give her heart and soul to Shar without any reservations. Although we cannot confirm this yet, it may affect the Shadowheart Romance.
Where to find the Ortho
To complete this part of Astarion’s Pale Elf quest, you’ll need to head to the right (from the waypoint). At the stairs, you’ll spot a beast of displacement. (We know cats are awesome, but this one could be dangerous.)
Either way, follow him to the bone-filled antechamber. As you approach the throne, the demon Orthon will appear out of nowhere.
He’s been trapped in the dungeon for centuries and he wants out. Failure to convince him will lead to an uphill battle, as the hostile mobs are on a ledge above you. But, there is another method:
- Say you can try to help him, then ask about his contract with Raphael. You must pass a hidden Arcana check to find out that the contract was made to trick him.
- This will bring up another persuasion response. You have to say that his followers are still here and they must die. He will immediately kill his lowly minions.
- If you are successful with the next answer, he will be forced to kill his Displacer Beast pet. (Oh, no! The cat!)
- And, finally, you can tell he’s still in the area, so he must probably die too.
If you can convince the Orthon to stand down or if you can defeat him in battle, you can loot his ashes for a Hellfire Iron and the Hellfire Hand Crossbow. It has the following characteristics:
- +2 enchantment
- Hellstalker – Chance to apply burn when hitting a target while hiding or invisible.
- Scorching Ray Shot – Spell unlocked.
Shar’s Gauntlet of Trials
Next, we discuss the different trials of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar. You’ll find them on the left side of the dungeon along a corridor near the waypoint. To begin these activities, interact with Shar’s Altar and have Shadowheart shed her blood. Each trial you complete earns you another Shadow Gem.
Upon entering the Self-Same Trial room, you’ll face off against your team’s doppelgangers. They will use the same spells and skills, so watch out for their attacks. Ideally, you’ll want each group member to target their duplicate. If he touches a different mirror image, his characteristic values will be reduced until the next long rest.
We’re just suggesting ignoring the debuff so you can take out your enemies at will, rather than picking specific targets per character. You can just take a long rest after this fight. You can also get the Killer’s Sweetheart ring. It gives you a reaction where you can choose your next hit as a crit after killing a target (refreshes after each long rest).
The Soft-Step Trial is a small maze patrolled by a few Shadows. If you are discovered, you will be teleported to the entrance. We just used Astarion here to avoid detection, while unlocking doors and disarming traps.
Leap of Faith Trial
The third trial of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar takes place in a fairly dark room. You should see the outline of the ledges in the distance. But, once you get close enough, they will disappear. We’ve included an image below, but we also suggest you take a screenshot so you can double-check the outlines as you jump and move.
There you go, you’ve completed all the Gauntlet of Shar puzzles and trials in Baldur’s Gate 3. All that remains is to place the Umbral Gems into the device. The first device only needs one, but the lower one needs the other three.
But before you head into the depths, we advise you to get a special weapon first. You will find it in the Silent library. After acquiring it, you must move forward to meet the night song.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is full of activities and secrets. You will undoubtedly be part of an adventure that can take countless hours. For more tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you purchase something featured on our site.