West Ham finalize terms with Man City on £14m deal for Carlos Borges… with Hammers in talks over Michail Antonio’s sale to Al-Ettifaq
- Carlos Borges has been capped at three different youth levels for Portugal
- Manchester City will have a buyout clause inserted into the deal for 19-year-old Borges
- The Portuguese youngster could become the Hammers’ first summer signing
West Ham are finalizing terms with Manchester City for winger Carlos Borges and remain in talks with Al-Etiffaq over the sale of striker Michail Antonio.
The Hammers have been interested in a move for the Portuguese striker from City for some time, with Mail Sport’s Transfer Confidential first alerting readers to the links in April.
The 19-year-old enjoyed a prolific season in the Premier League 2 competition – scoring 21 goals in 24 games, as well as 11 additional assists for his teammates as City youngsters finished 13 points clear at the top of the table.
As a result, his stunning campaign has attracted interest from Premier League rivals West Ham, who have of course received a huge cash injection with the sale of Declan Rice, whom David Moyes’ side will want to reinvest.
The east London side are currently finalizing terms on a £14million transfer for Borges which will take him to the London Stadium, although City have a buyout clause inserted into the deal.
Carlos Borges played for City’s U21s with 21 goals last season, with West Ham in talks over selling Michail Antonio to Al-Ettifaq
David Moyes’ side are yet to sign this summer but have received a cash injection from the sale of Declan Rice to Arsenal
Borges would be the first signing in a transfer window which was more about who left the club for West Ham, with talismanic captain Rice joining Arsenal in a £105m deal.
With Antonio also close to the Hammers exit, Moyes will be keen to bolster his ranks, and Borges represents an exciting prospect who can develop under his watchful eye, having already proven himself at youth level.
A left-winger overall, Borges will compete with Said Benrahma and Maxwel Cornet for a place in the squad as the Hammers seek to negotiate the Europa League, in addition to their domestic competitions.
Borges has also been capped by several Portugal youth teams, but is yet to make his senior debut for the Manchester club.
Antonio’s future seems to be far from the London stadium, where he has spent the past eight years.
Having previously been linked with a move to Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Lig, Antonio is now the subject of interest from Al-Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia.
The Hammers stalwart – now 33 – netted 14 times in all competitions last season for the Europa Conference League champions.
However, he could now be set for a move to the Saudi Pro League, the latest in a long line of big European names linked with a top move.
Borges, 19, has been capped at three different international levels for Portugal
Steven Gerrard’s Al-Ettifaq are yet to win a game in pre-season since the Liverpool legend took over
Antonio scored 14 goals in all competitions for the Europa Conference League winners last season
The 33-year-old Jamaica international has one year left on his current contract in London with an option for a further year.
Antonio has consistently provided David Moyes’ side with threatening attacking clout, contributing 14 goals and five assists in 48 games in all competitions.
Should a move materialize for the versatile striker, he could be the second Premier League star to move to Steven Gerrard’s side, who appear set to strike a deal for Liverpool skipper Jordan Henderson.
The England international is said to have undergone a medical on Friday and has already bid farewell to his Reds team-mates before agreeing a new deal worth £700,000 a week in Saudi Arabia.